On May 26, 2015, Netflix renewed the series for a second season.
Grace and Frankie follows Grace, a retired cosmetics mogul, and Frankie, a hippie art teacher, whose husbands, Robert and Sol, are successful divorce lawyers in San Diego. Grace and Frankie's lives are turned upside down when Robert and Sol announce that they are in love with each other and are leaving their wives. Now, the women, who have never particularly liked each other, are forced to live together and support each other as they navigate the next chapter of their lives.
- Jane Fonda as Grace Hanson; a retired cosmetics mogul
- Lily Tomlin as Frankie Bergstein; a hippie art teacher
- Sam Waterston as Sol Bergstein; a successful divorce lawyer
- Martin Sheen as Robert Hanson; a successful divorce lawyer
- Brooklyn Decker as Mallory Hanson; younger daughter of Grace and Robert, married with two children and a stay at home mom.
- Ethan Embry as Coyote Bergstein; adopted son of Frankie and Sol, a substitute teacher and recovering drug addict
- June Diane Raphael as Brianna Hanson; daughter of Grace and Robert, head of the company founded and once run by Grace
- Baron Vaughn as Nwabudike "Bud" Bergstein; adopted son of Frankie and Sol, himself a lawyer
- Geoff Stults as Mitch, Mallory's doctor husband of more than seven years.
- Mary Kay Place as Amanda, one of Frankie and Sol's oldest friends
- Joe Morton as Jason, one of Frankie and Sol's oldest friends.
- Ernie Hudson as Jacob, a love interest of Frankie's.
- Christine Lahti as Lydia Foster, Robert's sister and a close friend of Grace.
- Craig T. Nelson as Guy, an adventurous college friend of Robert's and Grace's love interest.